Thursday 1 May 2014

Reflections: Stephen Anderson

I am currently studying joinery and carpentry at the Shetland College and I am working for a local construction firm DITT. I was given two work placements, one including the same kind of work I take part in back home.

As we left Lerwick harbour I just couldn't believe that we were heading to Norway to live and work for one month. It just sounded like an amazing experience we had a head of us. When we woke up in the morning we had a long day of travelling ahead of us.

We got a “Welcome to Voss” presentation from Knut, the international coordinator in Voss, where he showed us some of the many placements we were joining in Voss. Then he showed us our accommodation and left us to it. The next day we met the other international coordinator named Trond and he took us on a tour, showing our placements and other interesting things in Voss, including the Wind Tunnel, cinema and library.

When we started our work placements I was situated on a construction site, building a house for two weeks. I took part in a lot of different jobs like preparing the walls and ceilings for plaster-boarding, using glass wool for insulation and putting up wooden studs. For my last week I went to work at “Tunge Ting” (which translates into English as “heavy things”) where they made various things out of concrete.  It was really interesting, ranging from little things like kitchen worktops and sinks to big benches and letters.  I really enjoyed getting the chance to go out to Norway to live and work. I have learned to manage my money in a really expensive country. It has also given me an idea in the future to work away from home witch I have thought about after coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment